WCHC strives to support individuals to make healthy lifestyle choices. We offer a range of programs to prevent chronic disease or help you to live well with a chronic disease.
Community Diabetes Program
This program supports adults with diabetes and their families by helping them make healthy lifestyle choices to manage blood sugar and reduce the risk of problems associated with diabetes. We offer education classes, individual appointments with a nurse and/or dietitian who are certified diabetes educators, foot health education and checks, Letâ€™s Moveâ€ť physical activity program, Diabetes Connection support group and Pre-diabetes classes. To access our programs you can be referred by your primary health provider or you can self refer.
Forms & Brochures:
- Community Diabetes Program Self Referral Form
- Community Diabetes Program Brochure
- Community Diabetes Program Client Handbook
Community Airway Clinics
These clinics, through a partnership with St. Maryâ€™s General Hospital, provide respiratory assessment, education and management for rural residents with lung conditions. Spirometry, a simple breathing test, which measures the speed and amount of air you are able to blow out of your lungs can be used to diagnose different types of lung diseases such as asthma and COPD.
For information call 519-664-3794 ext 297 or ask your primary care provider to refer you to WCHC for an appointment with the Respiratory Therapist.
Forms & Brochures:
- Community Airways Clinic Referral Form
- Community Airway Clinic Brochure
- Lung Health Test Questionnaire
Registered Dietitians work with individuals to promote health through nutrition education and guidance. Dietitians also have specialized training to work with those who have chronic conditions such as heart disease, cancer, allergies, and weight concerns.
There is no cost but an appointment must be booked. Evening appointments are available.
- For appointments at Woolwich Community Health Centre, St. Jacobs, call 519-664-3794
- For appointments at Wellesley Township Community Health Centre, call 519-656-9025
Heart Healthy Eating
Do you have diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease? Do you have a family history of a chronic illness? Looking for ways to improve your cholesterol level? Attend Heart Healthy Eating and learn about ways to improve your cholesterol level and your overall health! A Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator will help you find easy ways to modify your diet and help you to improve your cholesterol level.
Back and Neck Sparing Class – SORRY – not being offered for Spring 2020
In this 4-week interactive class you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop skills to increase your body and breath awareness while you perform your daily activities.
- Identify your current movements and activities that increase or decrease your discomfort.
- Learn ways to reduce strain on your spine while you do your daily activities.
- Share ways to pace and modify activities/movements to minimize pain.
- Explore the complexity of pain and changes that occur in the nervous system when pain persists.
Chronic Disease Self Management Programs
Through a partnership with Waterloo Wellington Self Management Centre we offer a range of programs including:
Watch Self Management’s website to see if any of the following programs are being offered virtually:
- Better Sleep
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving
- Dial it Down – Relaxation and Stress Management
- Mindful Awareness Stabilization Training (M.A.S.T.)
- Take Control, Take Charge – Chronic Disease Self Management
- Diabetes, Healthy Feet and You
- Getting the Most from Your Healthcare Appointments
Sessions are offered regularly and cover a range of topics and are open to all residents of our catchment area.
As we continue to take physical distancing measures, Woolwich Community Health Centre is offering health and wellness sessions at a distance using a virtual communication platform. We welcome you to register or if you cannot attend the workshop we are recording many of them and they can be found by visiting our Wellness Blog or click on the title below.
- Managing Difficult Emotions during COVID-19
- Nutrition during COVID
- Loneliness: The Impact on Health and Ways to Reach Out and Connect