WCHC strives to support individuals to make healthy lifestyle choices. We offer a range of programs to prevent chronic disease or help you to live well with a chronic disease.
Sessions are offered regularly and cover a range of topics and are open to all residents of our catchment area.
As we continue to take physical distancing measures, Woolwich Community Health Centre is offering health and wellness sessions at a distance using the virtual communication platform, Zoom, for most of our health education sessions. All sessions are FREE. Registration is required. Once you have registered, you will receive your invitation a day before the presentation. If you do not have internet access, no worries, you can attend the program using your telephone.Â For programs that are in-person, there will be a capacity limit so reserve your spot early!Â To register, please send an email to Tariq at [email protected] or call 519-664-3794 ext. 222.
We have recorded many of our presentations. The sessions can be viewed by visiting our Wellness Blog or click on the title below.
Winter 2023 Sessions:
- Healthy Cooking for One
- How to Understand and Support LGBTQ+ Youth
- Managing your Finances in Retirement
- Old Age Security, Social Assistance and Income Maintenance
- Wills and Powers of Attorney
- Managing Grief
- Bone Health and Osteoporosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Healthy Eating: Plant-based Cooking including recipes
- How to Keep and Improve your Memory
- Social Hesitancy? How to cope post-vaccine & during easing COVID restrictions.
- The Power of Mindfulness & Gratitude
- Women’s Pelvic Health
- Physical Activity and Seniors
- Spring into Action
- Bone Health and Exercise
- Healthy Eating to Keep Blood Sugars in Range
- Our Eye and Digital Fatigue
- Bone Health and Nutrition
- Enhancing your Immune System through Food
- Internet Privacy and Safety
- Detoxification for General Health: Naturopathic approaches to cleansing by fasting, nutritional and herbal supplementation
- Coping with the Holiday Season during the Pandemic
- Gut Health
- Heart Health
- Hospice/Palliative Care: How to Better Understand Hospice Services in Woolwich, Wellesley and Waterloo Region
- Managing Difficult Emotions during COVID-19
- Nutrition during COVID
- Loneliness: The Impact on Health and Ways to Reach Out and Connect
- Plant Based Dieting with Amy Sonnenberg
- Caring for the Caregiver with Linda Flemming
- Downsizing and Decluttering with KW Professional Orgainzers
- Stress Bustin’ Lunch N’ Learn SeriesÂ
- Sleep SeriesÂ
- WinterBlues: Depression SeriesÂ
Community Diabetes Program
This program supports adults with diabetes and their families by helping them make healthy lifestyle choices to manage blood sugar and reduce the risk of problems associated with diabetes. We offer education classes, individual appointments with a nurse and/or dietitian who are certified diabetes educators, foot health education and checks, “Letâ€™s Moveâ€ť physical activity program, Diabetes Connection support group and Pre-diabetes classes. To access our programs you can be referred by your primary health provider or you can self refer.
Forms & Brochures:
Already a client of our Community Diabetes Program? Please complete our Client Satisfaction Survey by clicking here.
Community Airway Clinics
These clinics, through a partnership with St. Maryâ€™s General Hospital, provide respiratory assessment, education and management for rural residents with lung conditions. Spirometry, a simple breathing test, which measures the speed and amount of air you are able to blow out of your lungs can be used to diagnose different types of lung diseases such as asthma and COPD.
For information call 519-664-3794 or ask your primary care provider to refer you to WCHC for an appointment with the Respiratory Therapist.
Forms & Brochures:
Registered Dietitians work with individuals to promote health through nutrition education and guidance. Dietitians also have specialized training to work with those who have chronic conditions such as heart disease, cancer, allergies, and weight concerns.
There is no cost but an appointment must be booked. Evening appointments are available.
- For appointments at Woolwich Community Health Centre, St. Jacobs, call 519-664-3794
- For appointments at Wellesley Township Community Health Centre, call 519-656-9025
Chronic Disease Self Management Programs
Through a partnership with Waterloo Wellington Self Management Centre we have offered a range of programs including:
- Better Sleep
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving
- Chronic Pain
- Craving Change
- Dial it Down – Relaxation and Stress Management
- Mindful Awareness Stabilization Training (M.A.S.T.)
- Take Control, Take Charge – Chronic Disease Self Management
- Diabetes, Healthy Feet and You
- Getting the Most from Your Healthcare Appointments
Due to COVID-19 they are offering some of these excellent workshops virtually. Watch Self Management’s website for more information and to learn about upcoming programs:
Creative Art Program
CLASSES FOR FALL 2023 ARE NOW FULL!
We are happy to announce that the Creative Art Program for adults will continue this year! The classes will be offered for free again thanks to the grant WCHC received from the Lyle S. Hallman Foundation.
People do not have to be â€śartistsâ€ť or even â€śgood at artâ€ť to benefit from the physical act of creating art.
Art has been proven to encourage healing, motivation, expression of emotions and most importantly happiness, to people worldwide, regardless of their age, health, ability or environment. By offering a Creative Art Program here at WCHC we can provide an outlet, a place to escape the stress of everyday life and just a fun time out for people in our community.
This will be an in-person program at Woolwich Community Health Centre, 10 Parkside Drive, St. Jacobs. Registration is required. We are limiting class sizes in accordance with COVID guidelines. Participants are encouraged to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and are encouraged to wear face masks and follow physical distancing guidelines. These classes are for adults.
Please click on “Community Programs > Healthy Minds > Creative Art Sessions” for more details